Saturday, February 18, 2006

Limbo, Indecisiveness

I appreciate all of your prior comments about my posts. I like thinking about some of these things and I like hearing other viewpoints. I would like to write about indecision or being indecisive. I think we usually think indecisiveness is a bad thing, but it can sometimes be good.

Indecision is good under various circumstances. Here are some reasons why it might be good to not make a big decision:

* A personal is very emotional about something important, and the emotion is preventing them from thinking clearly. Hormones may fit in this category.
* A person is confused and the decision at hand is important.
* One possible decision is difficult to reverse or it precludes other future options (and the decision is critical).

Indecisiveness is not ideal under many situations as well. Some examples include:

* The indecision is due to procrastination.
* The indecision is due to laziness.
* The choices at hand really don’t matter.
* The only choices at hand are equally good.

Indecisiveness always prevents progress. If a person has a good reason to be indecisive (like the examples above), then I think being indecisive or being in limbo is okay for the time being. I would recommend to such people that they should work to remove the barriers that cause the indecisiveness (such as the confusion, extreme emotion, etc.). I would also say that indefinite indecision is not a good thing. Indecisiveness should be eliminated under the “less than ideal” situations I described above.

Obviously, these are general thoughts and guidelines. There are always exceptions related to specific situations (i.e., your house is on fire and you have to make quick decisions despite the emotion).

2 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger Some Like It Hot said...

Indecisive is an interesing word. It had me wondering if I was indecisive about my sexuality? And the answer is I don't know.

Are you indecisive about your sexuality? Was that the point of this post?

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that indecisiveness should be actively avoided. I realize that's rather oxymoronic, but I would recommend adopting a mindset that in any given situation, there are more choices than are readily apparent, and choosing not to act is always one of your options. Think of choosing the indecisive option not as a non-choice, but rather a choice to wait for more options.

The word indecisive carries with it an apathetic air or a cowardly one. So if you're going to be an active player in this game of life, make smart choices. And you're right: sometimes the best choice is not to choose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home