Saturday, April 12, 2008

Buzzwords and Being True to Yourself

I have a masters degree in business. For those of you who have received an undergraduate of graduate degree in a business field know about many of the buzzwords in business. Some of these buzzwords include synergy, mission statement, process controls, value-added services, paradigm shift, etc.

In graduate degree business programs, students are often graded on participation. Some students seem to fill their in-class comments with as many buzzwords as possible, but many times, there is no substance behind their comments! Buzzwords—though popular for a time—are usually shallow and meaningless. Buzzwords are often used as an attempt to address a complicated issue with a relatively meaningless and overused phrase.

There is a buzzword (or in this case, a buzz-phrase) that is popular in the gay community: “Be true to yourself.” That phrase sounds like good advice, and taken in the proper context, I believe in that concept. But with any buzzwords and phrases, we need to ask a few questions:

What is the context of the phrase and concept?
What is the appropriate way to apply the concept?

Just as many business students try to address a complicated situation with a simple buzzword, people in the gay community often try to address life’s issues and challenges with buzzwords. Human beings are complicated, and life is complex. How can all the answers to a gay person’s problems in life be found in the expression “be true to yourself” without providing any context or meaningful advice?

This buzz-phrase, like all buzzwords and phrases, needs context. What is a person’s identity? An individual may identify themselves based on several different facets. As an example, let’s say that Hank identifies his top characteristics as follows: “I am a son, a father of two kids, an honest person, a doctor, a child of God, a husband, a sports enthusiast, a gay man, someone who loves God, and a mediocre fisherman.” Given the characteristics of Hank, how does he be true to himself? The answer to this question is not a simple one because Hank’s life has many different facets and dimensions. How can the fleeting advice to Hank to “be true to himself” mean anything of value if it fails to acknowledge his circumstances, challenges, goals, talents, successes, failures, etc.?

The advice to be “true to yourself” is usually given in a vacuum—devoid of any meaningful context. Thankfully, we have guidance to help us apply context to any buzzwords and other words of advice we are given. Such context helps us avoid hollow advice, false teachings, and the temptation to have “itching ears” (See 2 Timothy 4:3). God has given us prophets, scriptures, and the power of prayer (among other tools) to help us properly apply context to the many challenges we face during this life.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Blogger Neal said...

Great thoughts here! Thanks for sharing!

Now I need to get back to empowering positive change using paradigm shifts conveniently customized for cutting edge intellectual capital that allows me to assertively negotiate world-class content in order to solve business problems with global meta-data that will help me get my laundry done!


Neal

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger robert said...

In your FAQ. I was disturbed to see the comparison employed between alcoholism or any addiction and sexual orientation as a gay man. The unfortunate presumption of such a comparison is that a different sexual orientation from heterosexuality is a "problem" to be "dealt with". There is a great deal of cultural and social norming in drawing such a conclusion. Additionally, celibacy is a course of spiritual practice which can used by any person regardless of sexual orientation. To innovate that celibacy is in some way more "righteous" than engaging in sexual relationships seems a bit more based on fear than conviction.

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello my name is Merle Dean Shamblin and I would like to be your new friend. I sure could use somebody to chat with. I am a 47 year old long haul truck driver who currently lives in Duncan Oklahoma. Dec 8th 1960 I was born in Fairview Oklahoma. Moved to Caddo and Washita counties where I attended school at Colony Hydro and Weatherford. My parents Malvin and Wanda Shamblin were cotton and peanut farmers. Dad died in 99 from lung cancer. Graduated from SWOSU with a business degree. My two sisters are LaDonna Hubert and Malva Burrahm. Dennis is my brother. I have been a truck driver for 14 years and have driven 2 million paid miles. I have received many safe driving awards over the years. I am single and have never been married. I have a wide range of interests and am pretty much an open book. Currently I drive a 2006 Freightliner for a major carrier. I dont go to Canada very often. I dont have a dedicated route so I run the entire lower 48. I enjoy reading cinema music sports travel etc.

 
At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have just found your blog, finding my mission. I have read through several of your posts. I have found you to be very insightful, intelligent, and well-spoken. I admire these qualities in your writing. I look forward to hearing more from you. :)

Have a good day. Duck

 

Post a Comment

<< Home