Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"I am Free"

“I am free…” I find these three words one of the most chilling phrases in the scriptures:

And Cain went into the field, and Cain talked with Abel, his brother. And it came to pass that while they were in the field, Cain rose up against Abel, his brother, and slew him.

And Cain gloried in that which he had done, saying: I am free; surely the flocks of my brother falleth into my hands. (Moses 5:32-33, emphasis added)

We all know this story. Cain committed the first murder, and after committing the heinous act, he ironically believed he had found new freedom. In the world today, I wonder how often we incorrectly believe we are “free” when making poor choices. A few examples come to mind. I think of a person getting high on illegal drugs thinking he or she is now “free” from pains of the world. I have seen many news stories of people (e.g., Mark Hacking, Scott Peterson, etc.) who kill a spouse to become “free” rather than get divorced. Students cheat to prevent the bondage of a failing grade. Some people go into credit card debt to “free” themselves of want.

“I am free.” When I hear someone speak these words—and other phrases are more commonly used —I have to examine the context of their statement. I rejoice with a person when they are freed from sickness, disease, the bondage of sin, addiction, needless worry, depression, etc. However, I feel differently when people “free” themselves of responsibility, moral character, thrift, conscience, truth, values, etc.

All sin presents a false front of freedom. Thus, I cannot make a decision based on promised freedom—I must use other criteria to make the best decisions in my life.

6 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger Anon said...

Thanks for another great post. I like your blog because it gives me food for thought. With regards to freedom, I think we live in a world that has twisted and tainted that word so much. I think popular culture has created a kind of "cult of freedom" where, like you said, an attempt is made to "free" oneself from responsibility, character, conscience, etc. I think many people associate freedom with a lack of consequences, which is really ludicrous, when you think about it. Once you make a choice, there are always consequences that come with it--maybe good or maybe bad--that will limit future freedom. Having limitations and boundaries isn't a bad thing, as long as you are able to choose what those boundaries are. When constraints are forced on you because of poor or inappropriate use of your freedom to choose, true bondage occurs.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Forester said...

Yes, there is an incredible sense of freedom when you feel like you can commit a sin and get away with it. It's a rush that is hard to explain. Free Agency is the real freedom. When we commit acts that diminish our ability to choose, we lose freedom.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger MY VIEW said...

You know we may here the gospel preached at church and at conference but nothing inspires me more then when I see it in action.

I've read a couple of your blogs and I'm very impressed with you and the things you have to say. Thank you for having the courage to share your ups and downs. In so you show that its possible.

I find guys like you more inspiring then stories of perfect heroes. I can identify with you. Thank you.

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Jokey Smurf said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger Jokey Smurf said...

I think I'll be quoting this all over the place.

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful insight. I agree with "reading smurf". I'll be quoting this one whenever I get the chance.
Christopher
(P.S. Is it my turn to write to you or your turn to write to me?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home