Sunday, February 26, 2006

Present, Future

A friend recently commented to me that people ought to plan for the future but live in the present. He is a good LDS guy struggling with the same things I struggle with. I think he makes an interesting point, and I am trying to take it to heart.

Life is full of unknowns. We cannot plan for everything. The future seems very daunting and troubling to me at times, but the present has so much to offer me. I don’t think I should only live for the present and “eat, drink, and be merry.” But I think I can enjoy the present more without sacrificing my future or doing something to negatively affect my future. I need to have more hope that the future will work out for me and not worry about it as much.

4 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger LDSwithSSA said...

I have always liked the saying "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst." This mindset keeps you from being surprised and disappointed when things don't work out, and keeps you from getting bogged down in pessimism.

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger GilmoreGuy said...

Yeah, my life became more manageable once I stopped stressing about the future. I think I may have gone to the extreme and now all I do is "live in the now" but I have never been so content, so stable, and so successful. I might regret the lack of foresight one day, but suprisingly, good things still happen to me. Maybe someone is helping me out.

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's healthy to stop and take stock once in a while and ask yourself, "Am I headed where I want to go?" And, if you don't know where you want to go or who you want to become, it's good to decide that once in a while.

However - and that's a big however - if you obsess about the future and never allow yourself to enjoy the moments that make life sweet, you will arrive at the end wondering why life weren't more enjoyable. So live life right now, and take note of which things are helping you and which are hinderances on the path you choose. Enjoy the ride. It's exciting!

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger -L- said...

I remember feeling so lonely all the time before getting married. I thought, when is life going to get sorted out and I'll have a career and a family.... But now I have the family, and almost have the career, I just worry about other things. But the fact is, my life is pretty dang good. And I'll bet yours is too. You'll make the future into whatever you want it to be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home